by Robin Rowe 11/9/05
The next generation of CinePaint is called Glasgow. CinePaint is different from other painting tools because in addition to common 8-bit per channel formats like JPEG, it supports deep color image formats such as Cineon, DPX, OpenEXR, and 32-bit TIFF, that are standard in motion picture industry.
You're reading the main documentation page for developers and others working on Glasgow. Those new to Glasgow should first read the tutorial.
The Glasgow architecture is a radical change from the Film Gimp architecture. Where the old architecture was a single monolithic GTK-based tool, in the new architecture we have a constellation of applications that use FLTK or run headless. Tools for paint, playback, and batch control can run separately yet collaboratively while accessing our OpenImage? server (still on the drawing board) that's shares images via shared memory and a text-based socket command API. It's a pipeline of independent tools, something like using Photoshop and After Effects together but with many more tools. Interoperable, not embedded. Most Glasgow tools are FLTK-based, but img_img is command-line and img_server is a daemon. No GTK, Qt, or OS window APIs.
Glasgow is scheduled for release on December 31, 2005. Parts of Glasgow exist in CinePaint CVS. Open source developers ready to commit to delivering steady weekly progress are needed now and in the future. We have great loner developers working independently and intermittently. What we need most are team players who are good communicators and steady (not necessarily speedy) contributors.
Glasgow's code is designed to be portable, to run on Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX. Glasgow developers researching OSS tools to recommend for inclusion in the Glasgow suite (and CVS) may find it helpful to use the Debian documentation for info on library dependencies at http://packages.debian.org.
Those who wish to contribute by testing please join our SourceForge CinePaint developers mailing list, watch for
Testing announcements there, and then post bugs/kudo reports back to the list as appropriate.
CinePaint developers are required to post Glasgow questions to the developers list. I don't have the bandwidth to respond individually to off-list CinePaint questions unless it's a private matter or press inquiry.
- Glasgow Team 11/26/05 Robin Rowe - About the people of Glasgow
- New Developer Procedures 10/1/05 Robin Rowe
- img_vicar 12/21/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Daren Wilson
- [Glasgow HDR]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow open_img]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Robin Rowe
- [Glasgow CMS]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Kai-Uwe Behrmann
- [Glasgow Image Browser]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow Image Scanning]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow 3D]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow DV Editor]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow on Mac OS X]? 12/20/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Heidi Brandenburg
- [Glasgow VC++ 8.0 Project Files]? 12/20/05 - Lead: Richard Harrowell
- FLUID 11/25/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- Glasgow for Windows 11/25/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Robin Rowe
- FLTK 11/25/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Robin Rowe
- Glasgow Video Playback 11/10/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- Yage 11/10/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- Glasgow Audio 11/9/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Brian Redfern
- Splat 11/9/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- Glasgow I18N 11/8/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Uwe Schrecker
- Cinecalc 11/8/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: unassigned
- [Glasgow on IRIX]? 11/7/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Simon Vannarath
- img_img 10/23/04 Robin Rowe - Lead: Robin Rowe
- Windows Installer 10/21/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Chris Little
- Build Glasgow on SUSE 9.3 9/16/05 Robin Rowe - Lead: Chris Little
- Glasgow Code Guide 12/28/05 - Robin Rowe
- CVS Windows HOW-TO 12/4/05 - Robin Rowe
- Glasgow Plug-ins 11/23/05 - Robin Rowe
- ZWiki 11/25/05 Robin Rowe - How to edit this Wiki website
- GraphicsMagick Tips 11/10/05 Robin Rowe
- Glasgow Project Layout 9/8/05 Colin Law
- PMK vs libtool comparision 4/12/05 Tom Huffman
- Glasgow 12/23/04 Robin Rowe
- img_img Architecture 8/17/04 Robin Rowe
- Why Migrate from GTK to FLTK 4/6/04
- Sequences, Proxies and EDLs 3/29/04
- [Vector Paint]? - Added December 2, 2003
- [CPX File Specification]? - Added July 10, 2003
- [Green Wish List]? - Added June 21, 2003